“If you are looking for someone to help you achieve your goals I am happy to help. I have worked with high caliber athletes, the injured, obese, elderly and people who suffer from chronic and acute pain. I believe I am qualified to serve this variety of clientele due to an emphasis on lifelong education. If there is something out there that can help you I want to know about it.“
Phil prides himself on striving to be the best personal trainer in Texas. He has been training since 2001, has been the top trainer for fitness industry leader The Sports Club LA (Boston), and holds four degrees from several top academic institutions. He also maintains six national certifications for training and coaching. In addition, Phil is one of the first Z-Health Master Trainer and Master Instructors in the country. Z-Health is a performance based system that resolves pain and injury through the use of functional neurology.
Phil works with individuals to decrease body fat, improve nutritional habits, rehabilitate injuries, and increase muscle mass, strength, flexibility, range of motion, and coordination. In regards to his training style Phil says, “I incorporate many different techniques and approaches into training. I was lucky enough to work at one of the best facilities in the country in Boston where I was exposed to physical therapists, nutritionists, massage therapists, a resident physician and the Red Sox team chiropractor. My recent pursuit of the Z Health Performance credentials has taken my training knowledge to the next level. Learning how to incorporate advances in neural research into fitness programming has made a huge difference for my clientele; both my clients and myself are continually amazed by the body’s potential. I include movements from yoga, pilates, martial arts and traditional strength training in my programs, while also advising on nutrition.”
While at The University of Texas, Phil authored Strength Training and Nutritional Guidelines for the Texas High School Athletic Association (UIL). Phil also has written numerous articles for the fitness website livestrong.com. In addition to training, he has worked for the Buffalo Bisons and Fort Myers Miracle Professional Baseball Organizations, ESPN, and the Miami University Athletics Department. When he is not working he enjoys training in martial arts, and spending time with his wife Melissa and dog Cassius
- MS Applied Anatomy and Physiology Boston University
- M.Ed. Sports Management The University of Texas at Austin
- BS Physical Education, Health, and Sports Studies Miami University (OH)
- BS Business Administration Miami University (OH)
- Z Health Movement Reeducation Specialist
- Z Health Movement Integration Specialist
- Z Health Movement Performance Specialist
- Z Health Exercise Therapy Specialist
- Z-Health Speed Specialization
- Z-Health Stamina Specialization
- Z-Health Next Evolution Specialist
- Z Health Strength and Suppleness Specialization
- Z Health Sustenance and Spirit Specialization
- Z Health Neural Performance Specialist
- Z Health Master Trainer
- Z Health Master Instructor
- National Academy of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer.
- National Academy of Sports Medicine Performance Enhancement Specialization.
- National Endurance Sports Trainers Association Post-Rehabilitation Trainer.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Personal Trainer.
- National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist.
- USA Weightlifting Olympic Club Coach
I’ve had knee pain and weakness from chondromalacia for 25 years due to poor ballet alignment. I’ve been to physical therapists and performed their prescribed exercises with little improvement. Upon joining Pure Austin, I decided to sign up for a one hour session with Phil because of his varied training background. He evaluated my body and then showed me one simple exercise to do 3 times a day every day. The exercise takes me 2 minutes/day to perform and within DAYS, I noticed a huge difference with greatly reduced pain, and increased mobility and strength. After a few weeks, my knees feel almost like new. Amazing! – Susan Gammage
Phil is amazing! Past client and had great results. Being from the health and fitness field I am very picky about my trainers! Phil is great and knows his stuff! I sprained my ankle and saw him on day 2 of sprain and the swelling went down immediately and I was able to walk on it the next day with no limping. Within a week I was able to swim bike and run again! Thanks Phil for fixing my ankle so quick so I can race! -Jodel Edwards
Working with Phil has really made a difference for me. I used to stay active but suffered from chronic pain in my legs and back, was using orthotics, and constantly leaning on ibuprofen to get by. Since working with Phil, I am pain free, have much better range of motion, ditched the orthotics and haven’t needed an Advil in a year. Thanks Phil! -Ian Burk